Saturday

Moving right along!


Here is a progress photo after two days of late night stitching...by hand. This one is now about 3/4's done and with any luck at all will be done by tomorrow night. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out and have learned a few things to do differently on the next item in this series.

The most important thing I've learned is to never assemble the pieces until AFTER all the sewing is done! This would have went much faster if it was all separate pieces.

Another is to never tell anyone what you are making, four of the five people in this home have asked me what I am making. When I tell them, they look at me with this ...look.. You may be familiar with "the look" I'm talking about if you live with others. If not, you're lucky!

After the look, comes the question. "WHY?" I have several answers to this but it is usually either "Because I can." or "Because I had an idea and I wanted to see if it worked."

The truth? I am making it because it makes me feel GREAT to be creating something. It may be the most ugly thing in the world, and maybe nobody would ever buy it, who am I kidding nobody will ever buy it , no maybes about it, (I have a house full of unsold creations to prove my point too!) But I enjoy making it. It is what I do and a large part of who I am.

I just wish that after all these years I wouldn't have to keep explaining myself or my art to my family.

Which leads me to wonder how many of you go through the same thing and how do you handle it. Also how do you keep from getting discouraged when you never sell anything?

Comments on these questions would be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment