Thursday

Why buy when you can DIY!

Recently I joined a couple of art journal groups and in the suggested items to have were a few unfamiliar to me, one of them being Alcohol Inks.

Of course I went to my go to site for all things you could possibly want...ever. Amazon!

Sure enough they had them, not that I doubted they would but after looking at the prices, anywhere from $3.99 to $9.99 and up PER BOTTLE, I thought there had to be a better way for a che...ummm.. thrifty person such as myself!

Sure enough I found several sites that had what I wanted and today I took off to my favorite store, Dollar Tree to gather what I needed.

Should have taken photos of everything in packages but too late now. But for the low cost of $3.00 I now have 6 bottles of alcohol ink. It would have cost $4 but I had the alcohol at home already :-D

And here they are!


I have yellow, orange, red, blue, green and a rose color that I made using food dye, another method I found while looking for how to's on this.

Here are the sites I used :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWc0L0k26oE

http://craftthyme.com/2013/02/how-to-alcohol-ink/

Basically they are pretty easy to make, especially if you use the food dye. Pour some alcohol in a bottle, add some drops of food dye, cover and shake and that's it! With the markers I used pliers to pull the insides out, cut them in half and stuck them in the bottles, that's what you see floating in a couple, but I think you can save more money using the food coloring.

So that's my thrifty art tip for this week, now I am off to use these!

No comments:

Post a Comment