Monday

Sculpt? Who? Me???

I never thought I could make anything from clay that resembled..well..anything! And yet, surprisingly, I have.

A couple of weeks ago while my grandson was here, I decided that to do something different I would make a batch of homemade clay and we could have some fun with it.

One reason I thought of this was because I wanted to try making faces from clay before attempting it for my doll family.

Anyhow, once the clay was ready we dug in. Here is where the surprise happened!

I began to work on my face after making an oval shaped head. Unfortunately the head got a bit smooshed while doing this and I couldn't fix the head without wrecking the face, so I decided to go with the smoosh..lol which resulted in the following head.


I then decided to see if I could add shoulders, a body and arms. Once that was done I thought,hmmm, wonder if I can make legs crossed in a lotus like position. Now granted my arms, legs and feet came out a little off, but I like them! I think they give this a sort of primitive look. Don't you?


After baking (btw MY piece took over 3 hours to harden!) we set the pieces aside to paint the next day. He still has to paint his, as luck would have it he has been picked up both times he attempted to work on his almost as soon as the paints came out.

However, I have finished mine. She is 7" tall, 2" thick at leg part for sitting purposes, and 4.5" wide, and she sits up without support :-)

 I wanted to name her something to kind of commemorate the happiness my grandson and I shared while doing this activity together so after much thought she is now   "The Goddess of Joyful Creations" and she will have a place of honor in my studio.


I really love how she turned out, flaws and all and look forward to doing more of this type of work.
You may be wondering what my grandson made. So here are his projects! The spiky one he is planning on wearing on his arm...lol
The face under the spiked arm band is the other one that I made that day.



I highly recommend this very fun activity for your children and it is even more fun when Mom (or in this case..Nana) joins in! Best of all, you may already have the *clay* in your cupboards!

                        Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment