Saturday

Recycle your art magazines into canvases to make art on. What could be better than that?

Recently I was inspired by a pin on using magazine pages to make small canvases. If there is one thing I have it's a LOT of magazines, and one thing I lack is a lot of money to buy canvases. This seemed like a perfect solution, so I saved the idea.

I decided that today, to help myself crawl out of a major depression I have been sinking into, was the day to give it a try. I made a few adjustments, I liked my canvas to be a bit thicker so used 10 pages instead of 7 and because I didn't have any double sided tape, I just used 4 pieces of masking tape to hold the stacks together while sewing them.

In no time at all I had 8 canvases ready for step 3, which is to cover all the images and text with your own by using gel medium. Thought I would share my progress so far.

I was so involved in what I was doing that my mind stopped dwelling on what has been happening lately and I was calm and lost in a happy place. I actually like the one I have covered as it is, but step 4 involves gesso, step 5 is paint, and then the real fun begins. I'd like to thank Alma Stoller for her inspiration and share her link so others can try it!

http://almastoller.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-recycle-magazine.html
Not sure if I will use these as stand alone canvases or bind them into a journal. If I use them as a journal I will have 12 pages plus covers. Twelve is a very significant number right now...





No comments:

Post a Comment